What is a competent person?
A competent person is someone who has the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to help your business discharge the legal duties for health and safety.
Examples of competence may include:
- Knowledge and understanding of the legal duties placed on your business for occupational health and safety
- Demonstrable industry experience of the operational roles within the operating industries
- Formal training and assessment
- Professional membership of a recognised institution (IOSH or IIRSM)
Under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, it is a legal requirement for all organisations that employ five or more people to have a written health and safety policy. This policy sets out how you manage occupational health and safety in your organisation by stating who does what, when, and how it will be done. As an employer, you must employ a ‘competent person’ to help you meet your health and safety duties.
What Harcon Solutions offer you?
- Our Health & Safety competent support service is tailored around the needs of your business and is based on the size and complexity of your organisation and the specific requirements of your particular projects.
- Our team has a detailed and comprehensive understanding of high-risk industries and sectors, so we know exactly where to start when developing and implementing recognised Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems and undertaking risk assessments.
- We provide your business with the levels of assurance needed that comes with highly experienced safety professionals our competent persons have skills, knowledge and experience to help your business discharge its moral and legal duties for health and safety.
- All Harcon Solutions Safety Professionals are Chartered Members of IOSH and Registered on the Occupational Health and Safety Consultants Register (OSHCR).
Our retained Competent Health and Safety support service can include:
- Development and Review of Project safety documentation; this includes Construction Phase Plans, Project Risk Registers, Method Statements and Risk Assessments
- Onsite Occupational Health and Safety Audits and Inspections
- Representation at Client meetings
- Bid support and tender preparation
Learn more about our competence and expertise.
If you would like to learn more about our Occupational Health and Safety Competence and how we can support your organisation please get in touch with us today.